Skip to main content

Native Daughters of the Golden West collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS-38
Collection includes a centennial history of the organization, two songbooks, multiple magazine issues, programs and 1 photograph. The Grizzly Bear magazine was published regularly by the Native Sons of the Golden West beginning in May 1907 and served as the official publication of the Native Daughters of the Golden West until 1956, when the California Herald began. It continued until the August/September 1971 issue.

Dates

  • 1940-1986

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to researchers.

Conditions Governing Use

All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Associate Director for Historic Resources. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation Research Center as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

Extent

.75 Linear Feet

Biographical / Historical

The Native Daughters of the Golden West is a fraternal and patriotic organization founded on the principles of Love of Home, Devotion to the Flag, Veneration of the Pioneers, and Faith in the Existence of God. The historic mining city of Jackson, Amador County, was the birthplace of the Order of Native Daughters of the Golden West.

Pursuant to a call issued by Lilly O. Reichling, about twenty young women met in Pioneer Hall on September 11, 1886. Miss Reichling explained that the object of the meeting was to form an Order of California-born women to be known as the Native Daughters of the Golden West. The Order was organized in Pioneer Hall, at a meeting held on September 25, 1886. Chosen for the first Parlor of the Order was the distinctive name of Ursula (meaning "The Bear".)

Days, Mary Louise. A History of NDGW Official Publications, 2 p., 2009. Available in the Presidio Research Center.
Title
Native Daughters of the Golden West collection

Repository Details

Part of the Presidio Research Center Repository

Contact:
215 East Canon Perdido St.
Santa Barbara CA 93101 USA